Growing up, one of my mother’s favorite sayings was, “It hurts to be beautiful.” She told me so during every single home perm she gave me in the 80s. She said it while combing the tangles out of my hair and she said it when I first learned how to walk in high heels.
Now that I have straight hair and live in tennis shoes, I find that beauty is less painful than it used to be, but it definitely took a turn for the ugly somewhere. Here are 5 beauty trends so heinous that they should all be dumped like a bad home perm.
- Keratin straightening systems. The Brazilian blowout may give you sexy hair, but the maker of a popular line of hair-straightening products has agreed to inform consumers that two of its formulations emit formaldehyde gas, which may be carcinogenic. Mom’s home perms may have hurt, but they didn’t cause cancer.
- Underground rump injections. 2012 saw several arrests of “shot girls.” These unlicensed women offer black-market cosmetic procedures in which the derriere is injected with liquid silicone, tire rubber and even super glue! Underground “butt boosts” can lead to infection and is responsible for at least 1 death. Just say “no” to letting untrained strangers inject foreign substances into your body.
- Tanning. 2012 may have introduced us all to “Tan Mom,” but this trend has been around for years. A tan may look healthy, but it’s responsible for skin cancer and premature wrinkling. Save yourself the money spent on tanning beds and invest in a spray tan if you must be bronze.
- Fish spa pedicures. This wacky procedure took off a couple of years ago, but in 2012 analysis of fish that were headed into spas in the U.K. found antibiotic-resistant bacteria known to cause pneumonia and other infections. If you must have baby-smooth feet, just use a foot file. It’s safer and less gross than letting fish nibble on your toes.
- Bikini waxes. Waxing your pubic hair can create tiny tears in your skin that can make you vulnerable to infection in the most uncomfortable of areas.
Why not make 2013 the year that you turn your back on weird and dangerous fads and embrace holistic beauty? Eating right and exercising will keep your body trim and chiropractic adjustments and massages will help keep you active and vital. No weird gimmick can compete with a natural, healthy beauty. Even Mom would agree.
This article is made available for general, entertainment and educational purposes only. The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of The Joint Corp (or its franchisees and affiliates). You should always seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional.