Ever noticed how most health writers (this one included) tend to write more about women’s health than men’s? The ladies have information practically thrown at them. It’s all over TV, in magazines, on the internet, and in advertisements. Everywhere we look, there’s advice on how to lose weight, eat better, and stay young forever. Meanwhile, the guys get shafted. In our defense, a lot of the time it’s simply a matter of writing for your audience, and women tend to seek out information about their health more than the guys do.
It’s about time for this trend to change. That’s why this article is for men’s eyes only. No more excuses, gentlemen. It’s time to shape up and treat your body like a temple. Here are some healthy living tips that are specific to the male gender. Why should the ladies be the only ones concerned about their longevity? Here’s a basic list of healthy “musts” all men should immediately incorporate into their lives. And yes, that means you too.
Top 10 Health Tips For Guys
- Eat a healthy diet that’s low in fat and sodium. This will help decrease your risk of heart attack, high blood pressure, and diabetes. You should also eat several servings of fruits and green, leafy vegetables every day. Eating right is probably the most important thing you can do for your health.
- Go easy on the caffeine and the booze.
- Cut nicotine out of your life. If you use tobacco, on some level you know you’ll have to quit one day. Today’s as good a day as any other.
- Visit your primary care physician and your chiropractor regularly. Too often, men ignore routine visits to the doctor and problems that could have been easily fixed, if they were found earlier, turn out to be life-threatening.
- Find out what your body weight should be and then stick to it. Buy some scales and weigh yourself every day. It’s a lot easier to lose 5 pounds than 50.
- Wear your seat belt.
- Put sunscreen on before you leave the house. Even if you’re not concerned about wrinkling (and you should be), you still need to worry about skin cancer.
- Stay intellectually and socially stimulated. Surround yourself with friends who challenge you. If your job doesn’t keep your brain occupied, consider going back to school or developing a hobby that keeps you sharp.
- Exercise regularly. You need to work out 30-45 minutes at least 3-5 times a week just to maintain your weight. Try a variety of sports and exercises to find one that really appeals to you.
- When in doubt, read the directions.
As you can see, you don’t have to spend all of your time reading about the latest health trends to keep yourself fit and healthy. If you follow the 10 suggestions above, you’ll be just fine. Of course, it probably wouldn’t kill you to read a few health articles when you get the chance, either.
This article is made available for general, entertainment and educational purposes only. The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of The Joint Corp (or its franchisees and affiliates). You should always seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional.